
Emma did Abby's hair on Friday, and Abby responded by acting like her hair. Actually, the hair probably better respresents how Abby normally acts. I chased her around the house for a bit trying to get a good photo. I got her on the stairs, in Emma's bed playing peekaboo with the covers, balancing on the back of the couch, leaping over the house (not quite), and then Sam decided he needed to use the camera. We've been letting Abby's hair grow out for a couple of years with just an occasional trim to even the ends, so this is rare moment when you can see her face. Normally her hair covers her eyes like a sheep dog or anime character. And she does dress herself in several different outfits every day. So far since 7 this morning, she has changed three times.

I caught Lily doing Emma's hair Saturday afternoon. Their cousins, Elena and Jasper, were visiting from Toledo, and somehow Lillian convinced Emma to have her hair done. Lily can be quite convincing because it did not look like Emma was enjoying the experience, and Emma rarely likes the finished hairstyle.

This week at Lily's school, the fourth graders put on the African American History Month Wax Museum. The idea is to research a famous African American, write a brief biography, dress up and recite that sketch for visitors to the "museum". Lillian was Condoleeza Rice. Rebecca made the skirt to match the jacket Lillian had in her closet. I was pretty impressed by how many kids had their sketches completely memorized. Each script was about 3 minutes long. In addition to two Ms. Rices, I met Muhammed Ali, Beyonce Knowles, Garrett Morgan, Sojourner Truth, Michelle Obama, James Earl Jones, Hank Aaron, and many others representing various accomplishments, such as early woman aviators (the 1920's were an amazing time), first female physicians, entertainers, politicians, inventors, athletes and abolitionists. Great stories and a great way to present them. The kids did a fine job, and kudos to their teachers for using an innovative, engaging way to learn history and bring alive for the other students in the school.

Sam and I are sorting through my boxes of school stuff that was stored in my parents' attic. We are doing this in part to calm Sam's requests for something to do. The last time my parents moved 15years ago, they just shoved everything into a couple of boxes with the intent that I would eventually take it, which I did last month. Sam and I have found many treasures, and they brought back many memories. Like the crushed pheasant feathers I found while cutting through fields in Pullman, WA, or the Kool-Aid man stuffed doll that I saved all those Kool-Aid points for, and my collection of bow ties. I am culling through this material to try and get it down to one treasure chest. I am resisting my inner desire to collect and hoard. Hopefully, photos of the less valued materials will suffice for memories.
2 comments:
The Cleveland Heights schools seem to be doing a great job!
Maybe if Sarah does Megan hair. Megan would keep it for a little longer. Your girls are so cute
Post a Comment