Sunday, May 10, 2009

Spring Orchestra Concert

Lillian played flute with the Canterbury orchestra last week. She was also one of the announcers. We had a rough start with her flute this year. I purchased a used Armstrong flute, and it seemed fine to me, but it had some alignment issues. At one point in February, Lillian's teacher threatened to remove her from the orchestra if we didn't get her flute fixed. I took it in to the shop, and they quickly repaired it. Within a week, one of the springs started to slip once again rendering the flute unplayable. Fortunately, the repair man was able to easily bend the spring back into position and it has worked well enough.

I have been surprised at how quickly Lillian has learned the flute. I can barely make the thing wimper, and using ten fingers over multiple keys makes my mind swirl. Her orchestra sounded better than Jacob's middle school orchestra. The Canterbury kids played easier music, but it actually sounded like music when they played. And they were mostly together. The concert also included several solos, duets and other small ensemble performances. These kids did a really nice job.

Lillian's best friend, Emme, is moving this summer. There are actually quite a few families moving this year. Most of them are finished with schooling or residencies and are moving on to more permanent positions. A couple families have actually lost their jobs and are relocating to take on new jobs. We'll miss them.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: